Follow us on our Facebook and Instagram account. Link is given in the description box. The Kurumbera Fort is situated in Gaganeshwar village, southeast of Keshiari, at about four kilometres from town Belda, Midnapur. This monument resembles the architecture of ancient Odisha. The structure resembles the medieval architecture of Odisha, while also incorporating elements of later Mughal architecture. The fort has small quarters and temples. It is a protected monument under the Archaeological Survey of India. In local language kurum means stone & bera means fence. So it is easy to understand that the name contains a meaning of an arena fenced by stone. Written in Oriya inscription that during the rule of Surya Vamsi king of Odisha Gajapati Kapilendra Dev. This temple structure was built during the period 1438 to 1469. The place was originally a temple complex which was later on expanded to provide shelter to pilgrims. The shiva installed inside of the temple was known as Kapileshwar Shiva. Later it was converted into a military cantonment by the mughal & Maratha soldiers who invaded Bengal. That was when the temple complex was known as fort. Modern era British documents describe it as a fort. Another inscription written in Oriya found in the compound says it had many new structures built by one Mohanmmed Tahir during the period of Mughal emperor Aurangzeb. That includes a three domed mosque built in 1699. The pillars support a roof which is shaped as a flower. Although most parts of this fort and its structures are in ruins. The ASI has taken considerable effort to protect the structures from collapsing by using cement and lime mortar to shore up the external pillars.